Skip to main content

5 Financial Strategies for the Everyday Person

My husband and I both are looking toward the future. We would like to retire at a decent age without the worry of what ifs. Too many people do not plan for their future and are only looking a day at a time.

I truly believe it is important for our generation to take an active role in their futures and planning their retirements. Too many people counted on Social Security in order to live in retirement. We may not have any of those benefits when we get to the retirement age. Taking control of your finances is a lifestyle choice. It's just like eating healthy and working out. You have to make an effort in order to see results.

I believe that anyone, no matter what your social and financial status is, can start with some basic strategies. 

1. Set Financial Goals
Too many people are living pay check to pay check these days. I know that every family's situation is different, but you need to set a goal to reach toward. Otherwise, it is too easy to make excuses for why you aren't putting that $20.00 back that you could be saving or splurging on a new TV when you already have a  working one.

Set a goal so that you have an incentive to reach it. Maybe you want to save $2,000 in order to start an investment in the stock market. Perhaps, you would like to pay for your next car in cash instead of taking a loan out. 

Little goals can help you feel good about reaching them and help you look forward to your long term goals.

2. Make Sacrifices 
People who are rich aren't always born with a silver spoon in their mouth. Many people start from the ground floor and work their way up. Along the way you must make sacrifices in order to reach your short-term and long-term goals.

For example, I got my first car when I was 16 years old. It finally was biting the dust when I was about 25. I only work about 3 miles from our home, so there was no way I was going to buy a new car. I found a car I loved at a used car lot, but it had hail damage. The car ran great, it was a luxury brand and it was well taken care of. I got a great deal because most people aren't willing to sacrifice the looks of the car. I don't care what my car looks like, it does it's job!

Maybe your sacrifice is staying in a smaller house with your family because you are close to paying it off or going without name brand foods and drinks because you can save money on groceries. 

Little things add up, so do not discount yourself by saying your only saving "x" amount a month. Changing several little things each day, week and month will add up over time. Then you will begin to not even have to think about where to save money. It will become like second nature.

3. Pay off Debt
One goal I set for myself was paying off my student loan before we got married. When I graduated college, I got my first real job. The first year I worked, I really only spent money on gas and my student loan. I got that $8,500 paid off in less than 12 months. 

I was so proud of myself and I was happy that we could start our marriage off with only one piece of debt, my husband's car.

Then it became out next goal to pay off his car. We paid extra on it each month. Not only does this take years off the loan, it saves you money in interest accruing on the loan.

You don't have to go to the extreme of paying things off in a year, but if you make the effort at all it will help you save money in the long run. 

4. Save Money
This seems easy, but we all know that person with the attitude "if they have it, they spend it." You should try to put a little money back each month. This would help with an emergency fund and for accomplishing your short and long-term goals. 

Even if you can put back $20.00 a month,  you will start to accumulate some money over time. A little bit of savings is better than none at all.

5. Quit Playing the Victim
Quit blaming others, the government or economy for everything. We each have choices and we each have complications in life. Don't just blame others and say "poor me". Try and do something about your situation, just don't settle. 

Nobody ever got anywhere by wallowing in self-pity. You pick yourself up and try to solve the problem.

I am not saying that I am this know-it-all guru when it comes to money, but my husband and I do really well for ourselves considering what we each do for a living. We will never be rich by him being a teacher and me being an office manager. We are striving to try and set ourselves up by planning other income sources for our future. 

Every family should try to set themselves up the best they can because you never know what our futures hold. You can only count on yourself. We cannot rely on the government for our future plans. We have to be proactive!

Just a few changes here and there can add up! It will be hard at first, but it will pay off to be dedicated. Choosing to be smart with money is a lifestyle commitment. 

Until next time,

Kara



Picture accreditation from www.unboxedthoughts.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ways to Save Money on Groceries

The Hubby and I have been together 8 years this month. We have been together since we were freshman in college.  The unique and fun thing about our relationship is that we have kind of grown up as adults together.  When we were in college we both were living year to year on what we earned from working in the summer months. That means we never could be extravagant with what we purchased for groceries. We learned pretty early how to budget our money to stretch it as far as we could.  Now that we both have worked full time for 5 years, times have changed, but I still love to save money. There is no better feeling than getting a great deal! Here are a few ways to save at the grocery store: Digital Coupons : These are so easy and help save big. I mainly grocery shop at Kroger. It is super easy to register your Shoppers Card to instantly download digital coupons to it. This is what I primarily do to save our family money. I try to combine the digital coupons with Kroger sale

Spring Break in Las Vegas

Once again we traveled to our favorite place.... LAS VEGAS! We had four days packed with fun. The weather was great while we were there. In Indiana, however, it was terrible, so a good week to miss! By now everyone should know we are planners and love to get good deals. Well Las Vegas is a town of deals if you look close enough. Before we went we were able to snag some items from our MyVegas game on Facebook. We had two FREE night helicopter tours over the strip, a complimentary picture with the helicopter, two FREE show tickets to KA at MGM, two FREE show tickets to The Beatles LOVE at the Mirage, and two 2-for-1 Buffet tickets to the Mirage buffet. All those items together were valued at over $600. We paid $0 for them. I also got some items off Groupon for super cheap! So before we even left we had planned out what nights we were doing what and so on.  We arrived in Las Vegas on April 1st and headed directly to our hotel. This was our first time at Harrah's. We loved our locat

Book & Movie Review- Molly's Game

Joe and I recently read the book Molly's Game. We decided we would read the book while we waited for the movie to come out on DVD. photo credit link It is hard to believe it was a true story and just not made up. I am not one who likes biographies or reading to "learn." I like a good dramatic up and down story and this fits into that category. It's an action packed book about poker, greed, and knowing who to trust.  Molly Bloom- photo credit link The book details Molly Bloom's rise to run a secret celebrity rich poker game in back rooms and fancy hotels. The book drops some big names that many will recognize from many movies we watch on the big screen. IMDb's description of the movie is, "The true story of Molly Bloom, an Olympic-class skier, who ran the world's most exclusive high-stakes poker game and became an FBI target." photo credit link I would highly recommend reading the book first, because the movie does not use names